LaurenBDavis

LAUREN B. DAVIS

Through the Glass

Through the Glass - Shannon Moroney Shannon Maroney married her husband, Jason, knowing he had committed a grievous crime as a young man, but not only did he seem completely rehabilitated now, but even the jaded folks in the criminal justice system, including the psychiatrist who had worked with Jason for a long time, felt he posed no threat to anyone.They were wrong.A month to the day after they married, Jason committed a second, truly horrible and shocking crime, and Shannon's world exploded. Not only does she lose her husband, but also her home, her job and a number of 'friends'. She becomes, in a significant way, a collateral victim to her husband's crimes -- not in the same was as the two women against whom he committed his offenses, but a victim nonetheless, and one for which the system offers no help whatsoever.This is an tragic tale, well told. There is almost no self-pity, and no self-delusion. The author is clear-eyed and searingly candid. Her journey into the murky world that is the correctional system is well written, and her compassion and despair and concern for the victims of Jason's crime feels nothing but heartfelt. Her decision not to throw Jason away, but to try and understand how he could possibly have squandered the second chance at life he was given, how the gentle man she knew could possibly have done such despicable things, and to forgive him (although never losing sight of the enormity of his offenses), certainly held my interest. Her decision to work towards finding peace and remaining Jason's friend, if not his wife, is inspiring. Rising from the ashes of such an experience takes guts, faith and the support of a number of people. It also takes, the author seems to be saying, having a purpose beyond one's own interests. Shannon finds this purpose in her education and in the Restorative Justice movement. Personally, I found the last third of the book, in which she focuses on the Restorative Justice movement, slightly less gripping than the personal events in the first part of the book, but that may be because she was preaching to the choir. Having taught creative writing in prisons, I am already a firm believer in the movement.A fine book and a worthwhile read.