LaurenBDavis

LAUREN B. DAVIS

If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This: Stories

If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This - Robin Black This collection of short stories is Black's debut, and it foretells great things. These stories are beautifully constructed and the writing is splendid, but what really makes the collection shine, for me, is Black's compassion. These characters are fragile, each one nursing some vulnerability ... blindness, Alzheimer's, the loss of love, of youth. They are stories of loss and hope, secrets, silences, and the strength of love. If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This explores relationships and families with immense tenderness, and an impressive understanding of what makes people tick. Although this is Black's first collection, she has been publishing in lit journals for some time, and the maturity shows. Ms. Black knows her characters, with all their flaws and sore spots, and her tenderness for them is contagious and moving. A terrific book. Highly recommended.