LaurenBDavis

LAUREN B. DAVIS

Addict at Ten: How I Overcame Addiction, Poverty, and Homelessness to Become a Millionaire by 35 - Derek Steele Derek Steele's publicist at Synergy Books (a self-publishing outfit) approached me about this book, asking me to review it. I agreed to read the book, but frankly, didn't expect much. I've read a lot of addiction memoirs over the years, and not many of them are any good. They're often poorly written, or clearly untrue, or full of self-pity, or some similar combination.The author's blurb on the back of this book tells me Steele is "currently pursuing his life mission of helping others to achieve success by sharing his experience, strength, and hope through writing and public speaking." Oh dear, I thought. A book written to support the author's real agenda, which is speaking fees.Then there's that forward by the President of the American Association of Christian Counselors. Okay, even though I'm a Christian, I worry about books about recovery endorsed by a particular religion, since the literature of 12-step programs clearly says they are spiritual programs, but not religious ones. In fact, I have many friends who are atheists and agnostics who have successful long term recovery from alcoholism and drug addiction...To read the rest of the review, please go to: www.laurenbdavis.com/blog/