LaurenBDavis

LAUREN B. DAVIS

My War Gone By, I Miss It So

My War Gone By, I Miss It So - Anthony Loyd A harrowing, shocking, poetic memoir of the Bosnian war by a fine, if slightly unhinged, writer. Lloyd, who grew up in a military family, also grew up fascinated, apparently, by war and by the time he sets out for the killing fields of Bosnia is beset by the demons of addiction and despair. The horrors and chaos of war become a sort of counter-point for his addictions and emotional problems. One feels he becomes as addicted to the adrenaline rush of war as to the drugs, booze and sex. I admit I found the work intensely moving, and deeply human, although I do wish he'd provided more clarity at the end. I would have given it five stars, but for the fact I was left unsure as to how much the experiences about which he wrote with so much insight had changed him, and whether, in the end, he was able to put down his soul-destroying addictions. I found this book an invaluable reference when I was writing THE RADIANT CITY, about a war correspondent who had suffered a breakdown in Rwanda.