LaurenBDavis

LAUREN B. DAVIS

The Shack: Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity

The Shack: Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity - Wm. Paul Young, Brad Cummings, Wayne Jacobsen Okay, I know lots of people feel their theological understanding has been broadened/deepened by this book, and God bless 'em. I'm sure the author is well intentioned, but goodness it's poorly written. (A well respected book-seller I know calls it "a trail of cat sick") That may be beside the point, of course, but I found it condescending, simplistic, with some characterizations that were downright offensive. ( Discussion of Jesus not being handsome enough because he has a large "Jewish" nose, for example.) For truly enlightening Christian spiritual reading, might I suggest some of Bishop Spong's writings? Or Thomas Moore, even, or C.S. Lewis? Or C.K. Chesterton? Or Madeline L'Engle? Or, in fact, the work to which this book is laughingly compared -- Bunyan's THE PILGRIM'S PROGRESS (which is rather like comparing "Lemony Snickett" to MacBeth.) Still, if it brings you closer to the sacred -- fair enough.