LaurenBDavis

LAUREN B. DAVIS

Where the God of Love Hangs Out: Fiction

Where the God of Love Hangs Out - Amy Bloom The sad fact is that I read more mediocre, or even bad books, than I do good books; so when I read a terrific book I can't help but want to pass along a recommendation. So here it is: get out there and order a copy of Amy Bloom's new collection of short stories, Where the God of Love Hang Out, which will be in stores January 2010.Bloom, who worked as a psychotherapist for twenty years, has an uncanny ability to expose the psychological realities of her characters. More than once I found myself thinking of a clinically trained Henry James, and I mean that as a compliment. The focus is intimate, sensual, unflinching while deeply compassionate. I am embarrassed to admit this is the first thing I've read by Bloom, but it won't be the last. I've now added her novel Away, and another collection of short stories, A Blind Man Can See How Much I love You, to my list. I can't imagine where I've been, frankly, since Ms. Bloom has been the recipient of much acclaim, including National Book Award nominations, and National Book Critics Circle Award nominations as well as any number of reviews like the one from The New Yorker, for A Blind Man Can See How Much I Love You, which states, "Amy Bloom gets more meaning into individual sentences than most authors manage in whole books." This collection, Bloom's examines the many forms of love. Two sets of linked stories, which are really novellas, sit at the books core. Both are concerned with a different set of unlikely couples. One, the stories of "William and Clare"begins with Clare and William falling into an affair that survives their respective divorces, their own marriage and the frailties and vulnerabilities of the end of life...To read the rest of the review, please go to:http://www.laurenbdavis.com/blog/?p=216