LaurenBDavis

LAUREN B. DAVIS

A Small Furry Prayer: Dog Rescue and the Meaning of Life

A Small Furry Prayer: Dog Rescue and the Meaning of Life - Steven Kotler Loved it. Far more interested than I expected. What did I expect? A memoir about dogs and dog rescue. I am a sucker for such things. I expected funny and heart-warming/heart-breaking. Got all that. What I wasn't expecting were such well-written essays on animal/human relationships, mysticism, biology, philosophy and ethics. Kotler is a fine journalist and knows how to do his research, as well as how to write a classic personal essay which begins with the personal and expands to the universal. One of my few quibbles was his references to Carlos Castaneda, whom I consider to be a charlatan at best (see http://www.salon.com/2007/04/12/castaneda/ ). Having Kotler quote him made me question some of the other events/quotes contained in the book. I'm also not quite sure I bought into a lot of the 'flow experience' he describes. But never mind, the stories of his less mystical (although no less poignant) experiences with dogs, and his work on dog/human psychology was fascinating.