LaurenBDavis

LAUREN B. DAVIS

Sexing the Cherry (Winterson, Jeanette)

Sexing the Cherry - Jeanette Winterson As part of my continuing preparation for reviewing Winterson's new book, "Why be Normal When You Could Be Happy", I've just finished this one. SEXING THE CHERRY is firmly in the post-modernist camp, as is all of Winterson's work, and although this is not a camp in which I'm generally comfortable, I have trouble resisting Winterson's work, since its so beautifully written. SEXING THE CHERRY mixes history and myth, and includes a lot of narrative sidesteps and digressions. It plays with time and the power of story, and the motifs of orphan and monster/mother are here, as they were (although more realistically) in ORANGES ARE NOT THE ONLY FRUIT. In this novel, the narratives shift between seventeenth- and late-twentieth-century London and the world of fairy tale, which stands outside time.. The principal narrators Cherry are a seventeenth-century giantess called Dog-Woman and Jordan, her adopted son, whom she fished out of the river (here, too, we have similar religious overtones to ORANGES). Winterson explore questions of gender and sexual identity, as well as the power and limitations of story-telling. And as usual, she does it with sly wit and lovely prose.