LaurenBDavis

LAUREN B. DAVIS

Thirteen Ways of Looking: Fiction - Colum McCann

A marvel of a book. What is it about these Irish writers? Colum Toibin, Billy O'Callaghan, Kevin Barry? The music of the Gaelic infuses every sentence. I've read a good deal of McCann's work over the years and each book continues to delight. The voices in this collection are at once humorous, poignant, and trilling with life.

McCann was assaulted on the street in NYC during the writing of these stories and the aftermath of that incident, which resulted in him being quite severely injured, echoes along every page. You can read more about it in the victim statement posted on his website ColumMcCann.com. There's also an excellent review of the book in the NYTimes, which you can find here: https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/12/bo...

I should add that I had the pleasure of meeting McCann a few years ago at the Toronto International Festival of Authors. He is as handsome and as charming as he is talented and insightful.

Highly recommended. And the audio version is terrific, narrated by the man himself.