LaurenBDavis

LAUREN B. DAVIS

Bad Feminist: Essays - Roxane Gay

Roxane gay is smart and astute and brave and candid and funny. The writing is accessible, clear, and thoughtful.

These essays, which cover a range of topics from racism to what makes an (imperfect) feminist to critiques of books like LEAN IN and movies such as DJANGO, are insightful and thought-provoking. Like the best essays, there's something here to make everyone a little bit uncomfortable, and Gay doesn't spare herself the discomfort either. How kind and clever or her to allow us to admit out own warts and wrinkles in the face of her own admissions of imperfection. Well done.

And, on a personal note, how delighted I was to find such a terrific critical essay on the topic of THE HELP, a book I loathed, and for which I have taken a great deal of abuse for loathing. Thanks, Roxane.

Reading these essays was like having a long conversation with the smartest and wittiest of friends. Highly recommended.