LaurenBDavis

LAUREN B. DAVIS

Brilliant! Read this book.

The Good Son - Paul McVeigh

Full disclosure -- I met Paul last year at a short story conference and heard him read a story there that floored me, it was so wonderful. Then, in April of this year, I saw him again, in Ireland, and heard him read from this book. The reading was fantastic -- animated, funny, absolutely crackling with energy, and to be honest I was a bit concerned the book itself might not live up to my expectations after that performance. I needn't have worried. This book is astonishing.

It's hard to believe this is a first novel, it's so good. Set in Ardoyne, Northern Ireland during "The Troubles", THE GOOD SON is a masterful combination of tragedy and humor, stirred into a batter of scathing social commentary. So much more than a simple coming of age book, and yet somehow it manages that as well. Paul McVeigh is a writer we'll be hearing a great deal from in years to come. Highly recommended. Well done, sir.