LaurenBDavis

LAUREN B. DAVIS

The Opposite of Disaster

A Recipe for Disaster & Other Unlikely Tales of Love - Eufemia Fantetti

Mona Fertig, the publisher at Mother Tongue Publishing, sent me a copy of A RECIPE FOR DISASTER by Eufemia Fantetti, and how delighted I am she did.

From the back of the book:

RUNNER UP FOR THE 2013 DANUTA GLEED LITERARY AWARD & WINNER OF THE F.G. BRESSANI PRIZE for SHORT FICTION
Funny, tender and poignant, A Recipe for Disaster is populated by quirky characters who blend desire, imperfect love and comfort food into the sweet and salty mix of daily life while they yearn for the sustenance of human connection. A bemused child witnesses her mother flirt with a police officer responding to a domestic dispute call. A young woman mourns the end of a relationship, recalling the potently toxic recipe that created the disastrous union. A son struggles to accept his father’s emotional frailties and reject his passive approach to loss. A couple finally commits–to breaking up. A recently divorced woman meditates on the source of her ravenous cravings. A woman decides to end the prolonged vow of silence she took with her devout, hyper-critical mother. Six skilful and witty stories that will engage your heart.

JURY COMMENTS: Eufemia Fantetti’s slim volume of stories, A Recipe for Disaster, is more of a treat than a snack for literary foodies who like their stories fun, brisk, and effortless. The theme of food is sustained without dominating the stories; it functions like a recurring secondary character or a soundtrack. Fantetti’s storytelling is both supple and disciplined as if she were whisking plots and characters together until the reader can hardly distinguish whether characters are acting or being acted upon. True to life, that’s how disasters work.

It's a terrific collection of short stories, so terrific I have suggested all my students buy it and read it.  Why?  Because Fantetti has such a fantastic understanding of how to reveal character and meaning, such a terrific grasp of the symbolic moment.  My only complaint is that at 83 pages, the book is hardly long enough.  I could happily have read another ten stories.  Having said that the last sentence in the last story is PERFECT, but I suspect its perfection will only be recognized if one reads the collection from beginning to end -- so do that.  You won't be disappointed.  Well done.